Profile and Area of Expertise
Dr Aneel Kumar P is a Sr Consultant Neurosurgeon at Medicover Hospitals. He has more than 11 years of experience. He has performed 60 cases of DBS surgeries for Parkinson’s disease and Dystonia. He has also performed several procedures of Selective motor fasciculotomy, Selective posterior Rhizotomy, and Intrathecal Baclofen Pump in the management of spasticity.
Area of Expertise:
- Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease
- Spasticity Surgeries – Intrathecal Baclofen Pump, Rhizotomy and peripheral neurectomies
- Brain Tumor Surgery
- Cranio Vertebral Junction Anomalies and Spine Surgeries
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
- Consultant Neurosurgeon at Medicover Hospital,Hyderabad
- Worked as an Assistant Professor in Department of Neurosurgery, Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Punjagutta, Hyderabad, AP from June 2012 to July 2016
- Worked as a Consultant in Sai Krishna Neuro Hospital, Kachiguda, Hyderabad, AP from June 2011 to June 2012.
Education & Certificates
- He completed MBBS from Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences Andhra Pradesh in 2002
- MS General Surgery from Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences Andhra Pradesh in 2006
- MCh – Neuro Surgery from Nizam Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad in 2010.
- Best paper award for Outcome of selective motor fasciculotomy in the treatment of upper limb spasticity, awarded in INDSPN conference in 2009, Kolkatta at the 36th Annual Conference of the Indian Society for Paediatric Neurosurgery.
- Awarded Dasiradha Ram memorial award for the best outgoing student from Andhra University region in General Surgery.
Publications & Presentations
- Puligopu, A. K., & Purohit, A. K. (2011). The outcome of selective motor fasciculotomy in the treatment of upper limb spasticity. Journal of pediatric neurosciences, 6(Suppl 1), S118–25. doi:10.4103/1817-1745.85730
- Bhattacharjee, S., Puligopu, A. K., Uppin, M. S., & Sundaram, C. (2011). Astroblastoma with bone invasion. Asian journal of neurosurgery, 6(2), 113–5. doi:10.4103/1793-5482.92178
- Polisetty, R. V., Gautam, P., Sharma, R., Harsha, H. C., Nair, S. C., Gupta, M. K., Megha S U, Sundaram Challa, Aneel Kumar Puligopu, Praveen A, Purohit AK, Sirdeshmukh, R. (2012). LC-MS/MS analysis of differentially expressed glioblastoma membrane proteome reveals altered calcium signaling and other protein groups of regulatory functions. Molecular & cellular proteomics: MCP, 11(6), M111.013565. doi:10.1074/ MCP.M111.013565
- Gautam, P., Nair, S. C., Gupta, M. K., Sharma, R., Polisetty, R. V., Uppin, M. S., Sundaram Challa, Aneel Kumar Puligopu, Praveen A, Purohit AK Sirdeshmukh, R. (2012). Proteins with altered levels in plasma from glioblastoma patients as revealed by iTRAQ-based quantitative proteomic analysis. PloS one, 7(9), e46153. doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0046153
- Reddy S, Puligopu AK, Purohit AK. Results of selective motor fasciculotomy in spastic upper limbs due to cerebral palsy ( a review of 30 children and adults ). Indian Journal Of Cerebral Palsy,1(1),21-27. DOI: 10.4103/2395-4264.153559
- Kumar, A., Vinay, B., Aneel, K., & Barada, S. (2013). Cerebral metastasis masquerading as cerebritis: A case of misguiding history and radiological surprise! Medical Journal of Dr. D.Y. Patil University, 6(4), 462. doi:10.4103/0975-2870.118291
- Srinivas, B. H., Puligopu, A. K., Sukhla, D., & Ranganath, P. (2014). Case Report Rare association of spondylo costal dysostosis with split cord malformations type II: A case report and a brief review of literature, 9, 142–144. doi:10.4103/1817-1745.139320
- Arora, R., Puligopu, A. K., Uppin, M. S., & Purohit, A. K. (2014). Suprasellar Arachnoid Cyst with Spontaneous Intracystic Hemorrhage: A Rare Complication – Role of MR and Illustration of a Case. Polish Journal of Radiology / Polish Medical Society of Radiology, 79, 422–425. http://doi.org/10.12659/PJR.890992
- Reddy, S., Puligopu, A. K., Kumar, A., & Sahu, B. P. (2015). Metaplastic CONUS meningioma and its applied aspects. Asian Journal of Neurosurgery, 10(2), 166–168.
- Borgohain, Rupam & Kandadai, Rukmini & Kagita, Venkata & Puligopu, Aneel & Jabeen, Shaik & Kannan, Meena. (2016). Effect of bilateral subthalamic DBS on gait in patients with idiopathic Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism & Related Disorders. 22. e106. 10.1016/j.parkreldis.2015.10.235.
- Bhattacharjee S, Kumar P A, Saradhi M V, Panigrahi M, Purohit AK. Historical perspective on the Department of Neurosurgery at the Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences. Neurol India 2019;67:813-22
- He is a member of various national and international societies including the Neurological Society of India, the Congress on Neurological Surgeons, the World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, Movement Disorders Society Of India.
- He also studied protein molecules in the pathophysiology of high-grade gliomas in collaboration with colleagues at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), India
English, Hindi, Telugu