Profile and Area of Expertise
Dr. BSV Raju is among the best neurosurgeons in Hyderabad and is a neuro & spine surgeon at Aster Prime Hospital, Hyderabad. He has completed his MBBS training from Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada in 1989. In 1992, he obtained his MS (Orthopaedics) and DNB from Andhra Medical College, Visakhapatnam. He is also a spine surgeon in Hyderabad and in 1996, Dr Raju completed MCh from Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad.
Dr. BSV Raju completed the certification course from US Medical License Examination (USMLE) in 1998. Later, in 2003, he completed the Spine & Peripheral Nerve Fellowship from Stanford University and Spine Fellowship from Wayne State University, Detroit, USA.
He has been widely recognised for his achievements in spine surgery and has won awards from the Association of Spine Surgeons of India.
Dr. Raju has held prestigious professional positions, such as Treasurer, Andhra Pradesh Neuroscientists Association (2009-2012) and Secretary, Andhra Pradesh Neuroscientists Association (2012- 2015)
Area of Expertise:
- Minimally invasive Spine Surgery: Vertebroplasty, Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous Laser Discectomy, Percutaneous Endoscopic Discectomy, Percutaneous Spinal Fixation
- Lumbar/Cervical disc prolapse
- Complex spine surgery/Spinal deformity
- Spinal tumours
- Brain tumours
- Brain bleeding, Aneurysms, AVM surgery
- Head and spinal injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome, peripheral nerve tumours/injury
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
- Director & Consultant Neurosurgeon and Spine Surgeon – Prime Hospital, Hyderabad, India from 2007 till date
- Consultant Neurosurgeon and Spine Surgeon – Yasodha Hospital, Somajiguda, Hyderabad July, 2003- October, 2007
- Assistant Professor in Neurosurgery – Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad, 1997- June, 2001
- Senior Resident (Post MCh Neurosurgery) – Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad, July, 1996- June, 97
- Senior Resident – Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (During MCh Neurosurgery) (NIMS), Hyderabad, 1996-1997
- Resident in Orthopaedics (MS) – Feb 1989 – Dec 1992
- Internship – Oct 1987 – Nov 1989
Education & Certificates
- Spine Fellowship, Wayne State University, Detroit, USA, 2001-2002
- Spine & Peripheral Nerve Fellowship, Stanford University, USA, 2002-2003
- United States Medical Licencing Examination, (USMLE), June 1998
Certification No: 0-570-221-2
- M.Ch (Neurosurgery), June 1996, Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS),
- D.N.B (Orthopaedics), December 1992, India
- M.S (Orthopaedics), March 1992, Andhra Medical College, Visakhapatnam, India
- M.B.B.S, October 1989, Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada, India
- AcharyaSushrut, SadbhavanaPuraskar Award in 2010 by Indian Cultural Department of Society, Hyderabad
- Sevaratna awards by Mother Theresa foundation, Hyderabad for the year 2012
- Best Doctor’s Award, From “ Health Care International”, Hyderabad for the year 2015
- Best Hyderabad Neuro & Spine Surgeon Award “Global Healthcare Excellence Awards, New Delhi, 2015
- Awarded Association of Spine Surgeons of India – Depuy Travelling Spine Fellowship for the year 2000
Publications & Presentations
- A.K. Purohit, KK Shiv kumar,YRoopa: Long term results of lumbosacral posterior rhizotomy in 125 cerebral palsy cases. Clinical Neurology, 99 (1), S207-S208, 1997
- A.K. Purohit, BSV Raju, Shiv Kumar, KD Mallikarjun. Selective musculocutaneousfasciculotomy for spastic elbow in cerebral palsy. ActaNeurochirurgica. 140:5, 473-478, 1998
- VSSV Prasad, BSV Raju, C Sundaram: Plasmacytoma of dens as a cause for atlanto axial instability. Spinal Cord, 36,661-663, 1998
- Black disc disease: a commentary.Rengachary SS, Balabhadra RS. Neurosurgery Focus. 2002 Aug 15;13(2):E14
- Management of strut graft failure in anterior cervical spine surgery.Thongtrangan I, Balabhadra RS, Kim DH. Neurosurg Focus. 2003 Sep 15;15(3):E4
- Surgical techniques for total sacrectomy and spinopelvic reconstruction. Zhang HY, Thongtrangan I, Balabhadra RS, Murovic JA, Kim DH. Neurosurg Focus. 2003 Aug 15;15(2):E5
- Vertebral body replacement with an expandable cage for reconstruction after spinal tumor resection.Thongtrangan I, Balabhadra RS, Le H, Park J, Kim DH. Neurosurgery Focus. 2003 Nov 15;15(5):E8
- Surgical treatment of tumors involving the cervicothoracic junction. Le H, Balabhadra R, Park J, Kim D. Neurosurg Focus. 2003 Nov 15;15(5):E3
- Anterior cervical fusion using dense cancellous allografts and dynamic plating.Balabhadra RS, Kim DH, Zhang HY. Neurosurgery. 2004 Jun;54(6):1405-11; discussion 1411-2
- Thoracoscopictransdiaphragmatic approach to thoracolumbar junction fractures. Kim DH, Jahng TA, Balabhadra RS, Potulski M, Beisse R. Spine J. 2004 May-Jun;4(3):317-28
- Biomechanical comparison of anterior and posterior stabilization methods in atlantoaxial instability. Kim SM, Lim TJ, Paterno J, Hwang TJ, Lee KW, Balabhadra RS, Kim DH. J Neurosurg. 2004 Mar;100(3 Suppl Spine):277-83
- BSV Raju, Purohit AK, VSSV Prasad, DS Ganapathi Rao, Dinakar I, Cerebellar vermiandysgenesis and associated anomalies. Management of six cases and brief review of literature. Clinical Proceedings of NIMS, 9:4: 11-15, 1995
- BSV Raju, VSSV Prasad, Dinakar I, UN Das, AK Purohit. Role of Quantitative estimation of malondialdehyde (MDA) and effect of Methylprednisolone after acute spinal injury Clinical Proceedings of NIMS, 11:2:10-14, 1996
- VSSV Prasad, Dinakar I, BSV Raju, AK Purohit, RTA Naik, BCM Prasad, PK Gupta, Imageology in acute spinal trauma, Proceedings of 2nd National Neurotrauma Conference (Supp). 16-21, August, 1993
- PK Gupta, L Prasad, BSV Raju, Dinakar I. Split atlas with atlanto-axial dislocation, The Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging, 4:3: 177-178, August, 1994
- PK Gupta, L Prasad, BSV Raju, Dinakar I. Scar Carcinoma of the scalp-2 case reports and review of literature. The clinical proceedings of NIMS 9:1:32-37, January, 1994
- VSSV Prasad, BSV Raju, Dinakar I. Diabetes Insipidus in Cervico-dorasl Spinal Cord Injury. Neurology India, 43, 206-208, 1995
- AK Purohit, BSV Raju, JJM Reddy, Dinakar I. Claudicatorypriaprism in lumbar canal stenosis with lumbar disc prolapse, Neurology, India, Vol 46; Vol. 1, June 1997
- AK Purohit, MeenaMinz, BSV Raju, Dinakar I. Primary hypthyrodism presenting as precocious puberty and sellar – suprasellar mass. Quarterly Journal of Surgical Sciences. Accepted for publication in December, 1997
- BSV Raju, AK Purohit, A Krishna Reddy, VSSV Prasad, BP Sahu, Non-Surgical therapeutic interventions after acute spinal cord injury. The clinical proceedings of NIMS, 12:1, 16-22, March, 1998.
- BSV Raju, AK Sinha, AK Reddy, C Sundaram, VSSV Prasad, BP Sahu, TVRK Murthy, Giant Spinal neurofibromas. Neurology India, Vol. 47, Supplement 1, December, 1999 (Abstract).
- Jagan Mohan Reddy, VSSV Prasad, BSV Raju, BP Sahu, AK Purohit, Clinical outcome following Cervical Spine surgery: Prognostic indicators. Neurology India, Vol. 47, Supplement 1, December, 99 (Abstract).
- AK Purohit, Jagan Mohan Reddy, Ramana Murthy, BSV Raju, TVRK Murthy. Sciatic selective motor fasciculotomy for spastic knee flexion in Cerebral Palsy. Neurology India, Vol 47, Supplement 1, December, ’99 (Abstract).
- AC Upadhyaya, BSV Raju, C Sundaram, SubashKaul, S Ram Murthi, AK Purohit. Unusual case report of actinomycosis of scalp & skull vault with intradural extension. Neurology India, Vol. 47, Supplement 1, December, ’99 (Abstract).
- C. Sundaram, T.R. Paul, B.S.V.Raju: Cysts of the central nervous system: A clinicopathologic study of 145 cases, Neurology India, 2001:49, No.3- 237-242
- BSV Raju, AK Purohit, S Ram Murthy, C Sundaram, T Sanjay: Traumatic Anterior Cerebral Artery Aneurysm in A Child;A Case Report. Accepted for publication,neurology India, January 2001.
- Setti S Rengachary,Raju SV Balabhadra;Reduction inSpondylolisthesis.Neurosurgical Focus Vol 1391);2002
- Setti S Rengachary,Raju SV Balabhadra;Black Disc Disease;A Commentary Neurosurgical Focus Vol13(2);2002.
- Hong Le, Raju Balabhadra SV, Jon Park, Daniel Kim; Surgical Treatment Of Tumors Involving The Cervico-thoracic Junction.Neurosurgical Focus Vol 15(5);2003
- Ho Yeo Zhang, IssadaThongtrangan, Raju SV Balabhadra, Judith A Murovich, DanielhKim;Surgical Techniques For Total Sacrectomy And SpinopelvicReconstruction.Neurosurgical Focus Vol 15(2):2003..
- Daniel H Kim, Tae A Jahng, Raju SV Balabhadra, Michael Potulski, Rudolf Beisse:ThoracoscopicTransdiaphragmatic Approach to Thoracolumbar Junction Fractures.The Spine Journal 2004.
- Sung-Kim-, T.Jesse Lim, JosemariaPaterno, Tae-Jin Hwang, Kun-Woo Lee, Raju Sv Balabhadra, Daniel H. Kim:A Biochemical Comparisonof Anterior and Posterior Stabilization Methods in A Severe Atlanto Axial Instability Model.Spine 2004.
- Raju SV Balabhadra, Daniel H Kim. Anterior cervical fusion using dense cancellous allografts and plating.neurosurgery,may 2004.
- Daniel Kim, Hoang Le, Raju Balabhadra, Ho-Yeol Zhang: Anterior cervical fusion using dense cancellous allografts and dynamic plating. The Spine Journal, Vol 4, Issue 5, S, S115, Sep 2004
- Syed Jaffer, Mohammad Farhan Ahmed, Mir Anna Ali, Farheen Sultana, BSV Raju: European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, June, 2019.
- Venkateshwarlaramaraju, SrinivasKonda, Kavitha rani Balamuri, Anvesh Balabhadra, BSV Raju, GinjupallyDhanunjaya Rao: MER based analysis of local field potentials with deep brain stimulation subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson`s disease using coherence and entropy techniques. Indian Journal of Neurosciences 2020; 6(3):202-19.
- Venkateshwarlaramaraju, SrinivasKonda, Kavitha rani Balamuri, BSV Raju: Circuitous goal of bSTN deep brain stimulator in Parkinson disease: A study with fusion MRI guided by computed axial tomography and microneurosensor recording MER techniques. Indian Journal of Neurosciences 2020; 6(3):226-31.
- Anvesh Balabhadra, ApoorvaMalipeddi, Nilofeur Ali, Raju Balabhadra: Abdominal Epilepsy: a rare cause of unexplained abdominal pain. Cureus 12(8): e10120 DOI 10.7759/cureus.10120
- G Srirmaya Jyothi, BSV Raju, Anvesh Balabhadra, Syed Aizaz Ehsan: Perampanel Monotherapy- A novel treatment for Seizures: A systematic Review. Archives in Neurology and Neuroscience, Jan 2022.
Chapter In Books:
- BSV Raju, VSSV Prasad, AK Reddy. Recent advances in spinal cord injury. In reviews in Neurology. Ed.S.Mohan Das, RupamBorgohain. Indian academy of Neurology. 119-137, 1999.
- AK Reddy, BSV Raju, P Tripathy, M Panigrahi, BP Sahu, Extended anterior approaches to cervicothoracic spine. In: Indian Clinical Neurosurgery Vol. 1, Ed; AK Singh, 2001
- Mick J Perez-Creut,Raju SV Balabhadra, Dino Samartzis, Daniel H Kim:
Historical Background of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. In: Endoscopic
Spine Surgery and Instrumentation: Percutaneous Procedures edited by Daniel
H. Kim, Richard G. Fessler, John J. Regan, Thieme Publishers, 2005.
- Raju SV Balabhadra, Michael Potulski, RudolfBeisse, Daniel H Kim: Thoracoscopic Decompression and Fixation MACSTL. In: Endoscopic Spine Surgery and Instrumentation: Percutaneous Procedures edited by Daniel H. Kim, Richard G. Fessler, John J. Regan, Thieme Publishers, 2005.
- Raju SV Balabhadra, Russel A Andrew, Mark Li: CervicalTrauma. In: The 5-Minute Neurology Consult edited by D. Joanne Lynn, Herbert B. Newton, Alexander D. Rae-Grant. Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2004.
- Raju SV Balabhadra, Russel A Andrew, Mark Li: Back pain, Spondylosis and canal stenosis. In: The 5-Minute Neurology Consult edited by D. Joanne Lynn, Herbert B. Newton, Alexander D. Rae-Grant. Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2004.
- Daniel H Kim, Raju SV Balabhadra, Michael Potulski, RudolfBeisse: Anterior ThoracoscopicVertebral Reconstruction and Instrumentation. In: An anatomic approach to Minimally invasive spine surgery. Ed. Mick J Perez-Cruet, Larry T Khoo, Richard G Fessler. Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, 2006
- Lisa L Guyot, Raju Balabhadra, Richard D Fessler: Mechanisms of Pain Relief Following Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty. In: Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty. Ed. Daniel Resnic, Steven R Garfin. Thieme, 2006
- Anvesh Balabhadra, BSV Raju, Uma Sridevi C, Ajay kumar M: Nonsurgical treatment of degenerative lumbar scoliosis. In: Neurosurgery update Vol. 1, Ed. ManasPanigrahi. Thieme, Noida, 2019.
- Anvesh Balabhadra, BSV Raju, Y.Muralikrishna: Clinical evaluation of Adult degenerative Scoliosis. In: Neurosurgery update Vol. 1, Ed. ManasPanigrahi. Thieme, Noida, 2019.
- Neurological Society of India
- North American Spine Society
- Indian Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Twin Cities Neuro Club
- Twin cities Spine club
- Indian Medical Association
- Organizing Secretary: Xth Annual Conference of Indian Society for Paediatric Neurosurgery, Hyderabad, India, December 1999.
- Treasurer: Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India, Hyderabad, India, December 1999.
- Organizing Secretary: Neuroendoscopy Work Shop (with hands-on cadavers) Hyderabad, India, 20 & 21st May 2000.
- Organizing Secretary: 15th Annual Conference of Andhra Pradesh Neuroscientist’s Association, 12-13th July 2008, Ramoji Film City, Hyderabad, India.
- Course Director: Current Reviews in Brain & Spine Surgery, 28th Feb’ 2010, Hotel Taj Krishna, Hyderabad, India.
English, Hindi, Telugu