Profile and Area of Expertise
Dr. Chandrakant Sambhaji Pandav is the former Professor and Head of the Department of Centre for Community Medicine (CCM) at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India. Dr. Pandav is presently Member of the National Council on India Nutrition Challenges under POSHAN Abhiyan which is chaired by Vice-chairman of NITI Aayog.
Dr. Pandav completed his MBBS and MD in Community Medicine from AIIMS New Delhi and M.Sc. from McMaster University Hamilton Canada with specialization in Health Economics, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Dr. Pandav is also an Alumnus of the Department of Human Nutrition at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Dr. Pandav is known as the “Iodine Man of India” as he has been a relentless crusader in the fight for sustainable elimination of Iodine Deficiency Disorders, the single most important cause of mental handicap worldwide according to WHO. His research and advocacy has contributed enormously to the success of the National Iodine Deficiency Disorders Control Programme and mandatory Universal Salt Iodization not only in India but worldwide. Iodised salt coverage in India has increased from less than 5% in the 1980s to 93% in 2018-2019. This alone has resulted in saving 4 billion IQ points since 1985. Dr Pandav’s work subsequently led to the concept of “Extra – Himalayan fortification of Endemic Goitre” of endemic goitre. He has conducted in-depth economic evaluation of the IDD control programme and has provided conclusive evidence for cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit of IDD control interventions in programme mode.
Dr Pandav is the founding member of the Iodine Global Network recognized by the World Health Assembly as an International Non-governmental Organisation (INGO) and has been the Regional Coordinator South Asia, since 1985. He has been a consultant to the World Health Organization and UNICEF on Iodine Deficiency Disorders IDD since 1983 in over 60 countries in South Asia, Western Pacific, Middle East and Africa.
Dr. Pandav has been has been widely recognized in the areas of Iodine Deficiency Disorders IDD Micronutrients Health Systems Research, Health Economics Health Policy Health Programme Evaluation Public-Private Partnership and Human Rights Issues. He is co-editor of 14 books on Health Sciences and has authored over 600 research papers published in various national and international journals. A few of his notable books are “Elimination of Iodine Deficiency Disorders: Yes, it’s a worthwhile investment”, and “SOS for a Billion”.
Dr. Pandav received numerous national and international honours and awards that include the prestigious Dr. M.K. Seshadri Prize and Gold Medal by Indian Council Medical Research in 2000 for his outstanding contributions to the field of Community Medicine. In 2001 he became a Fellow at the National Academy of Medical Sciences New Delhi and Fellow of the Royal Institute of Public Health and hygiene and Society of Public Health London. The Mother Teresa Memorial Award in 2016 for his excellent work in the area of Universal Salt Iodization. In 2017, Dr. Pandav was bestowed the WHO Public Health Champion Award for his long and sustained contribution to public health through advocacy for and involvement in impactful health policies, strategies and programmes with proven public health achievements and substantial improvement in health outcomes with equity in the country. Dr Pandav was conferred with the prestigious “Padma Shri” Award – 2021 for his Exceptional and Distinguished Service in the Field of Medicine.
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
- Former Professor & Head, Centre for Community Medicine, The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- Since 1971 – MBBS; MD – 1980, Superannuated as Professor & Head of Community Medicine on 30th November 2016 after 45 years of continuous stay at his ALMA MATER – THE AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Member, POSHAN ABHIYAAN (Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition) (Rashtriya Poshan Mission), from 2018 – till date.
- Founder Member and Regional Coordinator, International Council for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders (ICCIDD) (South Asia), from 1986 to 2014.
- Regional Coordinator, Iodine Global Network (South Asia), from 2014 to December 2020.
- Founder Member and Vice President, Indian Coalition for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders (ICCIDD), New Delhi, India, from 1997 to 2014.
- President, Indian Coalition for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders (ICCIDD), New Delhi, India, from 2014 – till date.
- Vice-Chairperson, Coalition for Food and Nutrition Security (CFNS), New Delhi, India, from 2014 to 2019.
- Chairperson, Coalition for Food and Nutrition Security (CFNS), New Delhi, India.
- First Chair – Prof M.S. Swaminathan, 2006-14;
- Second Chair – Mr. A.R Nanda IAS, 2014-19;
- Third Chair – Dr Chandrakant S. Pandav, from July 2019 to October 2020.
Education & Certificates
- A Trained Physician from AIIMS, New Delhi MBBS from 1971 to 1976
- House Job – first six months in Neurosurgery and next six months in anaesthesiology
- MD (Community Medicine from 1977 to 1980; AIIMS, New Delhi).
- Measurement in health and nutrition interventions from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University of London.
- MSc from McMaster University Hamilton, Canada Clinical Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Health Economics
- Dr Pandav was conferred with the prestigious “Padma Shri” Award – 2021 for his Exceptional and Distinguished Service in the Field of Medicine
- Dr Pandav is having many awards and honours to his name including the most prestigious Dr M. K. Seshadri Prize & Gold Medal
- by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), for the year 2000.
- Dr Pandav was awarded the Mother Teresa Memorial Award for his excellent work in the area of Universal Salt Iodization (USI)
- in December 2016 at Kolkata.
- In 2017, Dr Pandav was bestowed the World Health Organisation (WHO) Public Health Champion award for his long and
- sustained contribution to public health.
- He received Bharat Asmita National Awards by MAEER’s MIT Group of Institutions, Pune, in 2019 for best use of
- Community Medicine and Healthcare for Public Awakening.
Publications & Presentations
- Dr. Pandav is Co-Editor of 14 books on Health Sciences and authored about 336 papers published in various National and International Journals.
- He is Advisory board member and Reviewer for various reputed Journals. He is currently member of many technical/expert groups constituted by Government of India, ICMR, Nutrition Foundation of India and various others National and International bodies.
Update Coming Soon