Profile and Area of Expertise
Dr. M.Hariharan is one of the foremost Music Therapist and Sound Healer from India. He is also a Vocal Performing Musician having trained from the age of 7 in both the systems of Indian Music ( North and South Indian Tradition). He holds a Ph.D. in ethnomusicology from India and Hon. Ph.D. from USA on Music Therapy. He has widely traveled and has attended many International Conferences in USA, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Germany, Italy, Greece, Netherlands, Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia. He has conducted more than 300 workshops and 200 Lectures on the Healing Powers of Indian Music Therapy, Chanting and Kirtan in several countries including USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Austria, Singapore, Seoul, Japan, Hong Kong. Switzerland, Germany, Greece,
He has composed and released 26 Audio CD’s and 3 DVD’s on Indian Music Therapy with Musical melodies through traditional Indian Musical instruments like Sitar, Tambura, Tabla, Veena, Violin, Flute, Santur, Mridangam, Jaltarangam etc. for Women, IT professionals, Legal Professionals, Police, Children, Heart patients, Nervous disorders, Pain Killer, Ayurveda, Yoga, Journalists, Women, 50++ age groups, Diabetes, Cancer, Veterans etc.
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
- Special Officer (Retd.)
State Music, Dance, Drama Academy,State Fine Arts Academy, (Sangit Natak Academy & Lalit Kala Academy) Dept. Art & Culture, Govt. Pondicherry.India
- Principal (Retd.)
Bharathiar Palkalaikoodam,(Bharathiar Center for Performing & Fine Arts) Pondicherry.605110
Raak Arts And Science College, Pondicherry
- Principal –SSSV College of Music, Madurai-1990-1995
- Lecturer – SSSV College of Music, Madurai-1985-1990
- Project Fellow, Dept. Music, Mysore Univ-1984-1985
- Senior Fellow, Dept. Music, Tamil Univ-1982-1984
- RILM:International Music Abstracts based at New York;Appointed chair for the Indian Sector by the RILM Abstract Editor-in-Chief, New York University.USA
- “Music in art forms” at Tamil University ,Tanjore 1982-84
- “Institutionalized and Individualized Instruction “Mysore University funded by the N.C.E.R.T New Delhi (1984-85)
- “Index of songs in south Indian Music” funded by the Sangeet Natak academy, New Delhi (1981-84)
- Visited USA from Oct to Nov 2012; April-June 2012; April-July 2011, Sept-Nov 2011 April-June 2010, Sept-Nov 2010, Sept to November 2009 & 2008; August to October 2007; Sept to Nov 2006 ; and Sept to November 2005 on lecture tour of Music Therapy, Music Education and Ethnomusicology at Arizona, Washington, California, New York, Florida Connecticut, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin ,Pennsylvania , Maryland, New Jersey, New Mexico, Texas, States in US
- Visited Europe ( Spain – Madrid; Germany – Mainz; Greece – Athens) in May 2007 for workshop and Lecture.
- Visited USA from 2003-2012 ( every year) on lecture tour of Music Therapy, Music Education and Ethnomusicology at Arizona, Washington, California, New York, Florida Connecticut, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin ,Pennsylvania , Maryland, New Jersey, States in US
- Lectured at AUSTRALIA : Sydney ( Univ.of Sydney), Melbourne ( Monash Univ), Canberra ( Australian National University), Adelaide ( Univ.of Adelaide), Brisbane , Perth ( Univ.of Western Australia, Murdoch Univ) in 2002 ,2003. & 2004 JAPAN
- USA, Canada, France, UK , Singapore, Malaysia on Lecture Demonstration and concert tour in 1982-84
- USA, Canada, France, UK , Singapore, Malaysia on Lecture Demonstration and concert tour in 1982, 1984.The Universities visited are at Berkeley, Los Angeles, Sa Diego, Cleveland, New York, Washington, Maryland, Pomona, Hawaii, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Toronto, Montreal,etc.
- I have done my Postdoctoral Program in Kansas Univ., Lawrence, and USA in 1983-84 on Music Education and Music Therapy.
- M.Phil degree course – 5 years
- Post Graduate degree course – 10 years
- Under-graduate degree course – 15 years
Seminars and Conferences:
- International seminar on Music held at Bhopal, Madras in 1984.
- Annual conferences of the Music Academy, Madras from 1976-1985 and presented papers in each conference.
- Musician’s conference at Gahanna Samaj, and Karnataka Gana Kala Parishad, Bangalore.
- Conference of the Acoustical Society of India at Trichy in 1987.
- National Seminar on Music Therapy held at Chennai, Jan 2005
International Conferences & Workshops:
- International Conference on Music Education Research by the Asia Pacific Seminar on Music Education Research held at Nagoya, Japan in 2001 August and delivered the Keynote Address on “ Information Technology In Music Education”
- International Conference on Music Education Research by the Asia Pacific Seminar on Music Education Research held at Nagoya, Japan in 2001 August and participated in the Panel Discussion on ‘Local Globalisation Of Music Education”
- Lectured at Gifu College of Nursing, Gifu, Japan on “Indian Music Therapy.” 2001
- 6th International conference on Music Perception and Cognition held at Keele , UK and presented a paper on “Performance Genre of South Indian Music in the 20th Cent.” held under the auspices of Society for Music Perception and Cognition in Aug.2000.
- International conference on Music Libraries held at Edinburg, UK and presented a paper on ” Problems And Perspectives In Indian Textual Transliteration” held under the auspices of International Music Libraries Association in August 2000.
- 5th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition held at Seoul , South Korea in August 1998 and presented a paper on “Ethnocultural Conflicts In Teaching Learning Process”.
- International Conference on Music Therapy held at Washington DC, USA in Nov.1999 and presented a paper on ‘Therapeutic Qualities Of South Indian Music”.
- 2002 – 7th International conference of Music Perception and Cognition held at Sydney, Australia, July 2002
- 2003 – 4th Asia Pacific Seminar on Music Education and Research held at Hong Kong IN July 2003
- 2003 – Expo on Conscious Living held at Perth, Western Australia in November 2003,
- 2004: ASPMER Conference in Hong Kong
- 2005: World Music Therapy Congress at Brisbane
- 2005: International Conference on Vedic Astrology , Hawaii,
- 2006: International Conference of ISME at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in July 2006.
- 2010: National Conference Of American Music Therapy Congress, Cleveland: A training program on Indian music therapy for Non-Indian musicians- Nov.2010
- 2011: XI International Conference On Music And Medicine at Ausburg College, Minneapolis, USA
Workshops & Lectures:
- I have conducted more than 300 workshops and 200 lectures on Indian Music Therapy in different countries: USA, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, European Countries between 1998 and 2011.
Education & Certificates
- Ph.D. (Hon.) USA Music therapy 1982
- Ph.D. Mysore Univ. Fine Arts 1980
- M.Ed. Mysore Univ. Education 1978
- B.Ed Mysore Univ. Education. 1976
- M.A Mysore Univ. Fine Arts 1975
- Pravesika – Diploma in Sanskrit, Govt Tamilnadu. 1967
- Pravesika – Diploma in Hindi, DBHP Chennai,1968
- Higher Grade- Diploma in Music, Govt.Tamilnadu, 1968
- Ganabhooshanam – Diploma in Music Govt. Kerala 1964
- Diploma in Commercial Practice, Govt. Kerala- 1970
- Diploma in Cooperation, Govt. Kerala – 1971 Higher Grade in Typewriting & Shorthand- Govt. Kerala,1971
Awards and Achievements:
- Awarded with the Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Award and the State Fine Arts Academy of Kerala for the achievements in the field of Music, Musicology. He is also the Chairman of the Society for Music Education, Therapy and Research based in Pondicherry and the Indian Music Therapy Research Foundation based in Kerala.
Publications & Presentations
CD’S & DCD’S
23 Audio CD’s on INDIAN MUSIC THERAPY
3 DVD’s on Yoga and Musical Healing
- A Text Book Of Comparative Music, CBH ,1994
- An Anthology Of Indian Music, Sundeep Delhi,1993
- Bharatanatya In Indian Music, Cosmo, Delhi.1984
- Bibliography Of Indian Music & Dance Literature, Impex Pub.New Delhi.1981
- Compositions Of Haridasas, CBH,1985
- Devotional Music, CBH Publishers, Trivandrum,1999
- Glimpses Of Indian Music, Sundeep, Delhi,1990
- Index Of Songs In South Indian Music,DK Pub.1980
- Indian Music;A Perspective,Sundeep , Delhi,1987
- Javali (Tamil), CBH Publishers, Trivandrum, 1998
- Jayadeva And Gita Govinda, CBH Publishers, ,1985
- Music In Indian Art, Sundeep Prakasan, Delhi,1995
- Nilakanta Sivan’S Compositions, CBH Pub,1990
- Oriental Music In European Notation,Cosmo1985
- Padavarnas Of Swati Tirunal, CBH ,1993
- Prahlada Bhakti Vijayam, CBH,1996
- Purandaradasa Compositions, CBH,1988
- Purandaradasa Kritigalu Kavyalaya,Mysore,1996
- Ragamalikas; CBH Publishers, Trivandrum,2000
- Ragas Of Tanjore, Sundeep Delhi, 1988
- Readings On Indian Music, CBH,1984
- Readings On Music And Dance, B.R.Pub. Delhi,1982 Rhythm Publishers, Delhi, 2017
- Royal Patronage To Indian Music, Sundeep 1990
- Swati Tirunal Compositions, Sundeep Delhi,1992
- Tamil Padangal, CBH Publishers, Trivandrum,1986
- Teaching Of Music, Sterling Publishers,New Delhi, 1982
- Text Book On Indian Musicology – Vols.-1-5
- Tillana ( In Tamil), CBH Publishers, Trivandrum, 1997
- Tiruvotriyur Tyagayyar Songs, CBH,1998
- Two Systems Of Music Education,- Project report.
- Tyagaraja- A Study: Sundeep Prakasan,New Delhi
- Understanding Western Music, Sterling Delhi,1982.
- Music of South India, Rhythm Publishers, Delhi, 2017.
- Great Composers of Indian Music, Rhythm Publishers, Delhi, 2017.
- Music in Indian Royal Kingdoms, Rhythm Publishers, Delhi, 2017
- Music in Indian Art & Archaeology, Rhythm Publishers, Delhi, 2017.
- Indian Music and Dance- Varied Dimensions, , Rhythm Publishers, Delhi, 2017
- Vasudevachar Compositions ( Tamil) Narmada Publishers, Chennai, under print
- Compositions of Maharaja Jayacharama Wodeyar ( Tamil), Narmada Publishers, under print
- Songs of Purandaradasa ( Roman),Narmada Publishers, under print
- Encyclopeadia Of Songs In South Indian Music, ( Vols I to IV)
Rhythm Publications, New Delhi 2019
I have authored and published more than 50 Research Papers in the following International Journals:
- Sangeet Natak, New Delhi
- Journal of Indian Musicological Society, Baroda
- Journal of Music Academy, Madras
- Journal of Indian History, Trivandrum
- Proceedings of the International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition Sydney, Australia – 2002
- Proceedings of the 3rd Asia Pacific Seminar on Music Education , Nagoya, Japan ( 2000)
- Proceedings of the 64th International Congress on Music Therapy, Washington, USA – 1999
- Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition – Seoul, South Korea – 1998
- Proceedings of World Music Therapy Congres
- Research Projects Indian Musical Abstract – submitted to the University Grants Commission ( 5 years)
- World Musical Abstract – Submitted to RILM, USA for approval
- Traditional Music Archives – Submitted to the Ford Foundation ,USA for approval.
Supervisor for Research
- I have been recognized as Guide to supervise the Ph.D., M.Phil ,and postgraduate Thesis of candidates in the Universities at Madurai, Kerala, Trichy, and Pondicherry.
- I have guided and supervised the Eight Ph.D. thesis of the following candidates at various Universities from 1984-2003 and Doctorate degree have been awarded to them.
- Dr.L.Annapoorna:Temple compositions in South Indian Music- Kerala Univerity
- Dr.S.Mallika: Patnam Subramania Iyer’s Compositions- Madurai Kamaraj Univ
- Dr.R.Aruna: Veena Traditions in South Indian Music- Madurai Kamaraj Univ
- Dr.Malini Murthy: Suddha Madhyama ragas in Carnatic music- Kerala University
- Dr.Pakkirisami Bharathi: Talas in Indian Music- Madurai Kamaraj University
- Dr.R.Kausalya: Tamil Isai- Bharathidasan Univ.
- Dr.Ms.T.M.Bhavana:Sangita Ratnakara and Sangita Sudha – Kerala University
- Dr.Ms.Janakamaya Devi – Music compositions for Dance. Madurai Kamaraj Univ
- I have supervised and guided 12 Dissertations for M.Phil degree in Music
- I have supervised and guided 46 dissertations in Post Graduate degree courses
- I have supervised and guided 44 projects in Under Graduate degree.
- I have supervised and guided 44 projects in Under Graduate degree in Fine Arts (Painting/Sculpture.Visual Arts and Communications) and Performing Arts (Music/Dance/Drama)
- Guest Editor for the Journal of Indian Musicological Society, Baroda on Special Issue of Music Education In Asia Pacific Regions – Nov 2003
Chairman: Society for Music Education, Therapy and Research
- Chair, for RILM – International Music Abstracts, (India Sector), New York, USA
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of 7th International Conference of Music Perception, Australia.
- President of “Srishti: Indian Music Research foundation”,India
- Member of the “Indian Epigraphical society”, New Delhi
- Member of the “Indian History Congress” New Delhi.
- Chairman/Member of the Board of Studies/Examiners at Kerala, Madurai,Trichy, Annamalai, Pondicherry, Coimbatore, Tanjore, Madras, Gandhigram Universities.
- Contributor for the “Encyclopaedia of Music” by Govt. Maharashtra
- Editor of “Dictionary of Indian Music”.
- Member of the Central Audition Board of All India Radio, New Delhi.
- Editor of the commemoration volume of the SSSV College of Music in 1985.
- Editor of the Bulletin of the Rotary Club of Pondicherry.
- Chairman: NEM Human resources Management Educational Society, Pondicherry (Jointly authored with Prof.Gowri Kuppuswamy)
- English, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil