Profile and Area of Expertise
Dr Hitesh Chavda is one of the top surgical gastroenterologist and liver surgeon of Ahmedabad, Gujarat. He has more then 20-years of experience in the field of gastrointestinal surgery. He is an enthusiastic and energetic surgeon with expert knowledge and healing hands. Dr Chavda graduated from the Medical Faculty, University of Gujarat in 1993 & completed his residency training from the same University and obtained his Masters degree (MS) with honours in 1997. He was trained at Department of Surgery at Civil Hospital and BJ Medical College, Ahmedabad.
He subsequently completed is advance surgical training and obtained his surgical fellowship (FRCS) from The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK in 1999. After his return from UK, in 2000 he was appointed as Assistant Professor at V S General Hospital and NHL Municipal Medical College, Ahmedabad. He Joined Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad in 2002 as a Consultant GI Surgeon. Successively he obtained advanced training in liver surgery in Paris, France and obtained further training in hepatopancreatobiliary surgery from Heidelberg, Germany in 2004.
In 2007, he completed one-year fellowship training in Liver Surgery & Transplantation at the Asian Center For Liver Disease and Transplantation, Gleneagles Hospital, Singapore under the directorship of Dr. K C Tan. He also visited Asian Medical Centre, Seoul, South Korea under the prestigious International Scholars Program for Living Donor Liver Transplantation training. He has been the driving force to co-ordinate efforts to start a cadaveric liver transplantation in Gujarat and Ahmedabad in particular. Currently he is Chief of DNB Surgical Gastroenterology program at Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad. He is considered one of the pioneers of liver surgery in Gujarat.
Dr Chavda is member of many scientific societies and has a special interest in surgical training and education of young surgeons. Since 2009 he is organizing “Liver Update” Conference every year to develop and spread the knowledge as well as the techniques of liver surgery. His research interests reflect the full range of clinical and surgical activity in his clinic, especially hepatobiliary surgery for cancers. In addition, he has given scientific presentations at national meetings and has been invited as a speaker/faculty in various conferences.
Area of Expertise :
- Open and Laparoscopic gastrointestinal surgeries
- Laparoscopic surgery for gallbladder stones
- Hernia surgeries for hiatus, femoral, inguinal and ventral hernias
- Laparoscopic appendectomy
- Gastrointestinal cancer surgeries
- Liver surgery for cancers and benign conditions
- Colorectal cancer surgery
- Pancreatic surgery for cancers and pancreatitis
- Surgery for portal hypertension
- Surgery for ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s Disease / Stapled and Pouch Procedures
- Retroperitoneal tumor excisions
- Laparoscopic surgery for reflux and hiatal hernia
- Emergency surgeries for abdominal trauma, bleeding, intestinal obstruction and gastrointestinal perforations.
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
- Consultant GI Surgeon & Chief of DNB Surgical Gastroenterology – Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad in 2002 & HCG Hospitals, Ahmedabad
- Assistant Professor at V S General Hospital and NHL Municipal Medical College, Ahmedabad
Education & Certificates
- MBBS – Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, 1993
- MS – General Surgery – Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, 1997
- Fellowship – The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK, 1999
- Fellowship – Liver Surgery and Transplantation – Asian Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation, Gleneagles Hospital, Singapore, 2008
- Advanced Training – Liver Surgery – Paris, France
- Advanced Training – Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery – Heidelberg, Germany, 2004
- Update Coming Soon
Publications & Presentations
- He attended Asian Medical Centre, Seoul, South Korea under the prestigious International Scholars Program for Living Donor Liver Transplantation training
- Ongoing Phase IV Clinical Trial: Efficacy and safety of Lipiodol Ultra Fluid during conventional Transarterial Chemoembolization (cTACE) in treatment of inoperable Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) in Indian patients.
- I am the principal investigator(PI) for this trial at Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad.
- Single Incision Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (SILC): Surgeon’s vision and patient’s perception.
- By: Dr Manish Madnani. Guide: Dr Hitesh Chavda (02-2013 to 02-2016)
- Prospective study of various prognostic markers and scoring systems for predicting morbidity and mortality in acute pancreatitis.
- By Dr Shaifali Goel. Guide: Dr Hitesh Chavda (03-2014 to 03-2017)
- Prospective study of predictive indices of morbidity and mortality after liver resection.
- By Dr Bhavik Vasoya. Guide: Dr Hitesh Chavda (03-2018 to 02-2021)
- Comparative study between enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) and conventional perioperative care in elective liver resection.
- by Dr Pravesh Shukla, Guide: Dr Hitesh Chavda (03/18 to 02/21)
- Prospective study of various pre-operative factors and developing a scoring system in predicting
- difficult laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- ongoing project by Dr. Usha Ramkrishna Mallabilli, Guide: Dr Hitesh Chavda (09/19 to 08/22)
- Member – Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, London
- Member – Association of Surgeons of India
- Member – International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- Member – Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons
- Member – Association of Minimal access Surgeons of India
- Member – Indian Medical Association
- Member – Gujarat State Surgeons Association
- Member – Gujarat Gastroenterology Society
- English, Gujarathi & Hindi