Profile and Area of Expertise
Dr. Nagendra Parvataneni is one of the leading Oncologists in South India. He has a rich experience of 24+ yrs in cancer surgery and has performed over 22,000 surgeries.
He has worked in some of the finest hospitals in both public and private health systems in India. He did his Masters in Surgical Oncology and was university topper in Surgical Oncology Entrance test and did 5 years of residency in India’s most premier Regional Cancer Centre- Kidwai Institute of Oncology, Bangalore, Karnataka. He is widely appreciated for his clinical and surgical skills in Oncology across the country and very popular among the junior surgeons for his surgical skills demonstration. He has been supporting the cause for cancer awareness and has been a crusader against Tobacco for the last 20 years through various cancer foundations.
He has the distinction of having gained experience from various famous cancer institutes like Roswell Cancer Institute, New York – USA, KMIO – Bangalore and from Tata Cancer Hospital, Mumbai. The area of expertise includes advanced Open, Robotic & Laparoscopic onco surgeries involving upper gastrointestinal onco surgery, pancreatic biliary surgery, thoracic surgery including oesophagus cancer, lung cancers and mediastinal tumors. He is a Pioneer in minimal access thoracic procedures. Has to his credit of performing the largest number of open and robotic colorectal procedures in the state of Telangana
Additionally, has a vast experience in Breast Cancer Surgery including Oncoplastic Breast surgeries such as Breast reconstruction following mastectomy or breast conserving surgeries, reconstruction of soft tissue tumor ablative defects.
He is a Leading Head and Neck Cancer Surgeon having to his credit to be one of surgeons to have operated the largest number of head and neck surgeries in this part of the country. Trained in Mumbai and has experience in dealing with complex head and neck clinical situations such as Skull Base tumors, Advanced Thyroid surgeries, Parathyroid surgeries, Oral Cancer Surgeries and Laryngeal preservation Surgeries. He does all kinds of head and neck reconstructions including pedicle and Micro Vascular free flaps. Currently running a fellowship programme for Head and Neck oncosurgeons including robotic head and neck surgeries.
He is technology savvy with a vast experience in latest Robotic surgery using the da Vinci Surgical System which is the most widely used clinical robotic system worldwide. This Robotic surgical system helps in the surgical procedures by enhancing the precision, flexibility and control during the surgery by giving the surgeon a high definition, magnified and 3D vision of the surgical site. He is the lead robotic surgeon now in Krishna Institute of medical sciences, a hospital with one of the first and with largest number of robotic surgeries in the country.
On an average he conducts over 120 major and minor cancer surgeries every month and has been involved in over 18,000 surgeries in the course of his career since 1998. Co-Authored 11 publications in indexed peer reviewed national and international impactful journals with 13 Citations till date. Broadcasted more than 30 different Oncosurgical procedures posted on you-tube web site dedicated to teaching precise surgical dissection to the new upcoming surgeons.
He practices evidence-based medicine with emphasis on multimodal approach. It is the multidisciplinary team effort which gives desirable end results. His Motto is to provide a complete comprehensive cancer care with passion to all his patients.
He has to his credit of having established “Hospice Foundation of Hyderabad” 1st of its kind in Hyderabad in the year 2004 a 20 bedded facility with a Home care unit which provides palliative care to terminally ill cancer patients free of cost. The entire expenses towards running the hospice is funded by his family. He is actively involved in the cancer screening camps since 2004 and has conducted over 171 cancer camps till date. He is involved in cancer awareness campaign through various social media networks, by publishing various campaigning material to bring about awareness on cancer and various preventive aspects since 2014.
He has been a teacher in surgical oncology since 2006 at the Telangana government regional cancer centre M.N.J Institute of Oncology and a trust hospital. He has been giving lectures at various medical colleges and district hospitals in the surgery departments.
Area of Expertise:
- Breast & Oncoplastic Breast Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Head and Neck Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeon
- Robotic Surgery
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
- Senior Consultant & Head of the Dept Surgical Oncology at Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, Secunderabad, Telangana
- Director – MTCT Cancer Foundation (Hospice Foundation of Hyderabad), Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Resident – Dept. of General Surgery Bangalore Medical College, Victoria General Hospital, Bangalore – 1994 – 1995
- Registrar (Honorary, Dept. of Surgical Gastroenterology – Colorectal Services) Q E Hospital, Kings Lynn, Norfolk, England, UK – 1999
- Sr. Registrar (Dept of Surgical Oncology) Kidwai Institute of Oncology & Regional Cancer Centre, Bangalore – 1999 – 2000
- Honorary Tutor Kidwai Institute of Oncology- Bangalore – 2003
- Consultant Surgical Oncologist Yashoda Hospital and amp freelancer – 2004 – 2006
- Assistant Professor MNJ Institute of Oncology- Hyderabad – 2006 – 2009
- Sr. Consultant and Unit Head Basavatarakam Indo American Cancer Hospital- Hyderabad – 2009 -2013
- Sr. Consultant and Head of the Dept of Surgical Oncology Seven Hills Hospital- Mumbai – 2013 -2016
Education & Certificates
- MBBS – Bangalore University of Health Sciences – 1993 – Karnataka
- M.S. (General Surgery) – Kuvempu University – 1998 – Karnataka
- M.Ch (Surgical Oncology) – Kidwai Institute of Oncology& Regional Cancer Centre – 2003 – Bangalore, Karnataka
- Diploma in Hospital Management – Periyar University – 2009 – Salem, Tamilnadu
- Fellow in Robotic Surgery – Roswell Park Cancer Institute – 2013 – Buffalo, New York, USA
- Fellow in Minimal Access Surgery (FMAS) – AMASI – 2014 – Coimbatore, Tamilnadu
- Fellow Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons (FIAGES ) – 2015 – Gurgoan
- Robotic Surgery Certification – Intuitive Surgicals (da Vinci) – 2017 – Kochi, Kerala
- Fellowship in Colorectal Surgery – UK
- Honorary Fellowship – Head & Neck Oncology – Tata Memorial Cancer Hospital – Mumbai
Awards and Achievements:
- State level high school merit scholarship in Bangalore.
- Secured All India 1st Rank in MCh Entrance Exam conducted by Rajiv Gandhi University, in 2000′.
- University First in MCh Surgical Oncology – Rajiv Gandhi Health University, Bangalore 2003.
- Best upcoming young surgeons award – ASI 2003.
- Kala vedhika award for Best upcoming Surgeon-Doctor in Andhra Pradesh – 2007.
- 2 awards for outstanding philanthropic work for running a Hospice by Government of Andhra Pradesh
- Awarded “Rising Star of the year 2017 in Surgical Oncology” by Times Healthcare Achievers Awards.
- Awarded “The Best Department for Surgical Oncology in Twin states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh” by Times Healthcare Achievers Awards – 2020.
Publications & Presentations
- Carcinoma of Vulva, Review at KMIO.
- Pelvic Lymph Node Dissection with drains and without drains at KMIO.
- Close margins in oral cancers: Implication of close margin status in recurrence and survival of PT1N0 and pT2N0 oral cancers at IACI&RC.
- Reliability of Incision Biopsy for Diagnosis of Oral Verrucous Carcinoma: A Multivariate Clinicopathological Study at IACI&RC.
- Prognostic Value of Frozen Section in T1, T2 Carcinoma of Oral Cavity at IACI&RC.
- Effect on survival per increase in each millimeter of tumor depth in tongue cancer at IACI&RC.
- Mild to moderate dysplasia at surgical margin is a significant indicator of survival in oral cancer patients” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology (2016) accepted
- successful revision of involved margins under frozen control” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery”
- Margin revision under frozen section control in oral cancer: A retrospective study on involved margins in pT1, pT2 oral cancers”. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2015).
- “Role of PORT in pT1-T2N0 Deep Tongue Cancers.” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology (2015).
- Multi Centricity of Oral Verrucous Carcinoma: A Case Series of 22 Cases.” Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery (2015): 1-5.
- Ongoing study – Reverse axillary nodal mapping in Breast Cancer patients and a comprehensive textbook on Oral cancers.
- Operating faculty, invited speaker and moderator in many national and international conferences and surgical workshops in India.
- Telangana Medical council – TMC
- Andhra Pradesh Medical Council – APMC
- Karnataka Medical Council – KMC
- Association of Surgeons of India – ASI
- Indian Association of Surgical Oncology – IASO
- Indian Medical Association – IMA North- Hyderabad
- Association of Gyneaconcologist of India – AGOI
- English, Hindi, Telugu