Profile and Area of Expertise
Narmada Prasad Gupta is an Indian urologist, medical researcher, writer and the Chairman of Academics and Research Division Urology at the Medanta, the Medicity, New Delhi. He is credited with over 10,000 urological surgical procedures and the highest number of URobotic surgeries in India. He is a former head of department of Urology of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences Delhi and a former president of the Urological Society of India. He received Dr. B. C. Roy Award, the highest Indian award in the medical category, from the Medical Council of India in 2005. The Government of India awarded him the fourth highest civilian honour of the Padma Shri, in 2007, for his contributions to Indian medicine.
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
After doing specialization in Urology, Dr. Gupta joined as faculty in 1979 and rose to the position of Professor and Head of the Department of Urology at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (1998 -2010). During a distinguished career of 35 years, contributed immensely to the growth of the science of urology at both National and International level. In the field of research, more than 300 publications in various national and International journals, written six books on Urology; contributed chapters in nine others, produced 18 teaching video films and trained over 110 M.Ch., post graduates who are today working all over India and some are occupying professorial chairs in USA. Dr. Gupta has performed more than 20,000 urological operations and acquired special expertise in endoscopic surgery for Benign enlargement of Prostate, carcinoma bladder, stricture Urethra, Endourology (PCNL & URS) for urinary stone disease, microscopic surgery for male infertility, laser surgery for stones and prostate, Prosthetic surgery for male erectile dysfunction and in laparoscopic and Robotic Urologic Surgery. Pioneer in the development of Robotic surgery at AIIMS and performed a large number of Robotic surgery for carcinoma Prostate, Carcinoma bladder, carcinoma Kidney and reconstructive surgery for a variety of Urological diseases. He has joined Medanta- The medicity as chairman, Academic and Research in Urology division, for clinical care, research and postgraduate studies.”
Education & Certificates
- MBBS Government Medical College, Jabalpur.
- M.S. (Surgery) Government Medical College, Jabalpur.
- M.Ch. (Urology) AIIMS, New Delhi.
- FAMS Fellow Academy of Medical Sciences D.Sc Rani Durgavati Vishwavidalya Jabalpur
“”Padmashri”” by Govt. of India, 2007 ‘Dr. B.C.Roy National Award’ for ‘Eminent Medical Teacher’,2005 Fellow Academy of Medical Sciences, 1998 Urology Gold Medal – Urological Society of India, 2008-2009 Doctor of Science (D.Sc) – Rani Durgawati Vishwa vidyalaya, Jabalpur – 2009 Ranbaxy Research Award – Cinical Sciences – 2009 Dr. Himadari Sarkar Memorial Oration – USI, 2008-2009 President’s Gold Medal, Urological society of India, 2003. Col. Sangham Lal Memorial Oration, Academy of Medical Sciences, 2002 Dr SK Sen Memorial Oration, Delhi state chapter, ASI, 2002 Distinguished Teacher’s Award, IKDRC, Ahemedabad,2000 International Scholarship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio, 1998 Dr. Pinnamaneni Venkateswara Rao Endowment Lecture Award and Gold Medal in the field of Urology by Urological Society of India on 21st Feb, 1998. Certificate of commendation for excellence in the field of Urology by USI, 1987 D.K. Roy Chowdhary Oration award IMA, South Delhi Branch, 1990 UICC ICCRT fellowship for Robotic Surgery in Urology, 2005 Dr. B.N. Oration of the Society of Surgeons of Nepal, 2006. Golden Jubilee oration and Gold medal, Delhi chapter, ASI , 2007 Award of eminent men for distinguished Achievement of highest order , IMA, 2007
Publications & Presentations
- All About Prostate Gland’, : An ebook by Dr. NP Gupta,
- Reconstructive surgery for the management of genitourinary tuberculosis: A single center experience : J Urol, 2006
- Safety of holmium laser prostatectomy in patients with cardiac pacemaker implant : Ind J Urol, 2006
- Role of computed tomography with no contrast medium enhancement in predicting the outcome of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for urinary calculi :BJU Int, 2005
- Radical cystectomy in septuagenarian patients with bladder cancer : Int Urol Nephrol., 2004
- Prospective randomized comparison of Transurethral Resection of Prostate Using vapor resection (Wedge TM) Loop and Standard Loop in Prostates larger than 40 CC : Ind.J.Urol., 2001
- Duplication of urethra with complete atresia of the orthotopic channel I-stage reconstruction : J.Urol, 2000
- Infundibulopelvic Anatomy and clearance of Inferior Calyceal Calculi with Shock wave lithotripsy : J. Urol., 2000
- A high risk factor score in management of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia : Brit J. Urol., 1986
- The management of patients with renal and ureteric calculi presenting with chronic renal insufficiency : Br. J. Urol. 57, 1985
- Rheumatoid factor in urinary bladder tumours : J. Urology 120, 196-197, 1978
Past President, Urological Association of Asia Past President , Urological Society of India Life member, Societe Internationale D’Urologie, National Delegate, Indian Section SIU 1994 – 2000, BOC Member 2004 – 2006. Life Member, Association of Surgeons of India. Life Member, Urological Society of India. Life Member, Geriatric Society of India. Life Member, Urolithiasis Society of India. Life Member, Indian Medical Association. Life Member, Indian Society of Organ Transplantation Life Member, Indian Society of Oncology Life Member, Indian Endoscopy Society Life Member, Indian Association of Laser Surgery International Member, American Urological Association Member, Society of Endourology and SWL