Profile and Area of Expertise
Dr. Raghava Rao G is a Consultant in Clinical & Interventional Pulmonology having significant exposure in the field of Pulmonary and Critical Care medicine. He has sound knowledge of basic and advanced medical concepts, and is protocol-oriented with evidence-based management of patients.
He secured the first rank in DM Pulmonary Medicine entrance exam and fifth rank in MD Internal Medicine entrance exam of PGIMER. He completed his training from prestigious national institute PGI Chandigarh. He is also certified from the prestigious MRCP (United Kingdoms) board in respiratory medicine. He is one among the very few MD, DM super specialist Pulmonologists in the twin states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh state from PGI Chandigarh.
He has a special interest in pleural disorders (like pleural effusion, pneumothorax), tuberculosis, smoking-related lung diseases like chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and Emphysema. He has treated over few thousands of the above mentioned cases in his career.
He also held various special clinics over last few years with vast clinical knowledge in ILD (interstitial lung disease), severe bronchial asthma, bronchiectasis and ABPA diagnosing and managing these complex conditions
He has a keen interest in the management of all pneumonias including Pneumonia in immunocompromised patients, Nosocomial Pneumonia, Ventilator-associated Pneumonia & Fungal lung infections, gaining knowledge after rigorous training/management in dedicated respiratory ICU and critical care program from prestigious national institute, PGIMER
He also likes teaching and is a part of many teaching programs and research activities with a qualified experience of more than 6 years in internal medicine and pulmonology. He has been faculty in various training programs, work-shops and is involved in many research projects with proficient teaching experience to residents, respiratory therapists, nursing students and staff.
He is a member of various international societies APSR (Asian Pacific Society of Respirology), ERS (European Respiratory Society) and ACCP (American College of Chest Physicians).
Area of Expertise:
Bronchoscopy and EBUS:
- Well trained with vast experience and performed over 1500 flexible bronchoscopy and 500 linear and convex EBUS procedures
- Rigid bronchoscopy and Central airway tumors:
Has keen interest in rigid bronchoscopy performing numerous complex airway procedures adeptly including airway stents, APC, Electrocautery, tumor debulking etc and was also faculty at various workshops in training programs
- Well versed with rigid and semi-rigid thoracoscopy for diagnostic and therapeutic indications, having performed over 250 procedures
- Also has a special interest in sleep disorders like “Sleep apnea (Obstructive Sleep Apnea & Central Sleep Apnea)” and “Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome (OHS)” and has managed more than 500 of these patients with polysomnography and Positive pressure airway devices (CPAP, BiPAP). Also performed and interpreted more than 200 level 1 polysomnographies
- Performed many cryo lung biopsies in ILD (interstitial lung disease) and lung nodules Severe asthma
He has treated several severe/ difficult to treat asthmatics, optimizing their medications and also has expertise in usage of biologics (omalizumab, mepolizumab, etc) and bronchial thermoplasty.
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
- Consultant Pulmonology at AIG Hospital, Hyderabad
Education & Certificates
- DM (Pulmonary, Critical care and Sleep Medicine): Postgraduate Institute of Medical Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- MRCP – SCE (UK), Respiratory Medicine
- MD (Internal Medicine): Postgraduate Institute of Medical Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- MD (PGIMER, Chandigarh): “Prevalence Of Asymptomatic Coronary Artery Disease In Patients Of Diabetes Mellitus”
- DM (PGIMER, Chandigarh): “A Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Non-Invasive Ventilation (NIV) With Pressure Support Ventilation (PSV) Versus Neurally Adjusted Ventilator Assist (NAVA) During Acute Respiratory Failure (ARF)
Publications & Presentations
- Bronchoscopy in the diagnosis of suspected invasive mold infections and factors predicting the diagnostic yield. (Mycoses. 2021 Jun;64(6):668-677. doi: 10.1111/myc.13263. Epub 2021 Mar 14. PMID: 33719109)
- Tracheobronchial Crohn’s Disease: Case Report and Systematic Review of the Literature (Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2021 Nov 3:258. doi: 10.1093/ibd/izab258)
- Comparing Noninvasive Ventilation Delivered Using Neurally-Adjusted Ventilatory Assist or Pressure Support in Acute Respiratory Failure. (Respir Care. 2021 Feb;66(2):213-220. doi: 10.4187/respcare.07952. Epub 2020 Sep 1)
- CSF Rhinorrhea Following Alectinib Treatment for ALK Rearranged Lung Adenocarcinoma– E Contrario (Int J Mol Immuno Oncol 2020;5(3):127-30)
- Effective Early Screening Modalities for Asymptomatic Coronary Artery Disease in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Journal of Cardiovascular Disease Research. 2018; 9(2): 63-67.
- Hot and Cold Therapies In Interventional Pulmonology- Argon Plasma Coagulation (APC), Elsevier India (December,2021)
- ASV Vs Conventional mode of mechanical ventilation in severe neurotoxic snake bite envenomation – a pilot randomized study. (Accepted for publication In British Journal of Anesthesia, Jan 2022)
Update Coming Soon
English, Hindi, Telugu