Profile and Area of Expertise
Dr. Sandeep Attawar is the Chair & Director of Thoracic organ transplants and Assist devices at KIMS Institute for Heart & Lung transplantation. He was born and spent his formative years in Ahmedabad, did his medical schooling and specialized in General surgery at the Sheth KM school of PG medicine. He further specialized in Cardiac surgery at the Sri Chitra Thirunal institute, Trivandrum.
He subsequently worked at the Manipal heart foundation and Narayana Hrudayalaya . Since 2001 he specializes in setting up greenfield heart surgical services. He has since 2011 expanded this repertoire to Thoracic organ transplantation and mechanical circulatory support.
He now focuses, solely on a top down realignment of pre-existing cardiac and respiratory services into heart and lung transplant centers. He has done the same for Gleneagles Global hospitals at Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Bombayover the past 3 years, before he moved down as the Founding Director of the Solid thoracic organ TX program at KIMS Hospitals. His team have performed close to 319 thoracic organ transplants (of which 191 were Double lung transplants, 92 Heart transplants & 36 Combine Heart & Lung transplants) in this period, with over 35 left ventricular assist device implants.
Dr. Attawar & his team have currently performed 28 successful double lung transplants on patients with end stage COVID damaged lungs. This is one of the largest series of lung transplants for this emerging disease in the world.
In addition, Dr. Attawar is also an active member in international cardiothoracic forums such as the International society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT), Society of Thoracic surgeons (STS ) and the European association of cardio-thoracic surgery (EACTS).
He is on the international panel of 24 experts to form the consensus guidelines for Lung Transplantations at the ISHLT this year. These guidelines are the Lung transplant Bible for over 250 hospitals all across the Globe that pursue the science of Lung transplantation.
He is also a contributor for the textbook of “Transplantations & Mechanical Circulatory Support for end stage Lung and Heart disease’’ Published by Wiley Publishing due for release next year.
He has had work published in leading journals such as the Annals of Thoracic Surgery (ATS), and regularly contributes to papers and presentations delivered across the world. He is a scientific advisor for Reliant Heart and is involved in advancing the field of mechanically assisted circulation or Long term Ventricular assist devices (LVAD).He is also on the editorial board of the Journal of Thoracic disease.
Dr. Attawar is currently the proctor for JARVIK HEART and Heart Mate III in India and South East Asia.
Dr. Sandeep Attawar is a firm believer inuniversal access to quality care and outcomes in heart and lung transplants, striving to provide the highest quality of care to patients at his institution
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
- Dr. Attawar is the Program Director and Chair of Heart/Lung Transplantation & Assist Devices at KIMS Hospitals, Hyderabad
- Clinical Assistant CVTS (Jan ‘97 – July ‘98): Manipal Heart Foundation, Bangalore
- Junior Consultant (Aug ‘98 – July ‘99): Manipal Heart Foundat
- Associate Consultant (Aug ‘99 – Dec ‘99): Manipal Heart Foundation, Bangaloreion, Bangalore
- Consultant Cardiac Surgeon (Jan ‘00 – Apr ‘01): Manipal Heart, Bangalore
- Consultant Heart Surgeon (May ‘01– Jan 2002): Narayana Hrudayalaya Hospitals, Bangalore
- Senior Consultant Cardiac Surgeon (Feb‘02’– Mar ‘03’): A.J. Hospital and Research Center, Mangalore
- Senior Consultant Cardiac Surgeon (Apr ‘03’– Mar ‘05): Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardaic Sciences, Kolkata
- Clinical Director for the Department of Cardiac Surgery (Apr 2005 – June 2010): Apollo Hospitals, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Vice President, Chief of Cardiac Surgery and Clinical Head of Cardiac Sciences (July 2010 – July 2012): Narayana Hrudayalaya Hospitals, Jaipur
- Group Advisor, Director of Cardiac Surgery and Heart and Lung Transplantation, Surgeon-in-Chief (August 2012 – Jan 2013) Global Hospitals India, Chennai
- Director and Chief of Cardiac surgery &Thoracic Organ transplantation & Mechanical Circulatory support: Fortis Memorial research Institute
- Program Director and Chair – Cardiac Sciences Thoracic Organ Transplants Mechanical Circulatory Support, Academic Program (Cardiac Sciences): Gleneagles Global Hospitals , Chennai
Education & Certificates
- Dr. Sandeep Attawar did his medical schooling and specialized in General surgery at the Sheth KM school of PG medicine. He further specialized in Cardiac surgery at the Sri Chitra Thirunal institute, Trivandrum.
- Update Coming Soon
Publications & Presentations
- Repair of Truncus Arteriosus Using Valved Conduit – International Pediatric Cardiology Conference – Pediatric Cardiac Society of Bangladesh – 31st Dec to 1st Jan 2009 (Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Repair of Supracardiac Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection in a Premature Baby – International Pediatric Cardiology Conference – Pediatric Cardiac Society of Bangladesh – 31st Dec to 1st Jan 2009 (Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Giant Coronary Cameral fistula with triple vessel coronary artery disease in an adult: Surgical correction with revascularisation – World Scoiety of Cardio-thoracic Surgeons – 12th July to 13th July (Kyoto, Japan)
- Off Pump CABG and its outcome – Integrated Cardiovascular Repair Workshop – December 2008 (Innsbruck, Austria)
- Surgical Repair in Adult Acynotic Heart Disease with Severe Pulmonary Hypertension – Integrated Cardiovascular Repair Workshop – December 2008 (Innsbruck, Austria)
- LV Aneurysm Repair: Experience at Apollo Hospitals Dhaka – National Heart Foundation and Research Institute Foundation Conference – 1st to 2nd December 2008
- Surgical Restoration of Left Ventricular Geometry in LV Aneurysms – Integrated Cardiovascular Repair Workshop – December 2008 (Innsbruck, Austria)
- Repair of Truncus Arteriorsis using Valved Conduit – International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (ISMICS) Conference – 11th to 13th December 2009 (New Delhi, India)
- Supracardiac Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection in Pre-term infants – 11th to 13th December 2009 (New Delhi, India)
- Attawar SG, Nair S. Simple, Cost-Efficient Valve Suture. Ann Thorac Surg 1996;61:1850
- Division of Cardiac Surgery, Apollo Hospitals Dhaka. Giant Coronary Cameral Fistula with Triple Vessel Coronary Artery Disease in an adult: Surgical correction with Revascularization. Clin Pharm, 18 (2): 83, 2008.
- Bhat AM, Neelakandhan KS, Unnikrishnan M, Cherian KV, Attawar SG, Lone NG. Aortocaval Fistula Due to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Rupture. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2000;8:271-274
- Divison of Cardiac Surgery, Apollo Hospitals Dhaka. Combined Konno-Rastan Aortoventriculoplasty with Nick procedure and Double Valve Replacement in a child. Bangladesh Journal of Cardiology, 2005;1:250
- Division of Cardiac Surgery, Apollo Hospitals Dhaka. Combined procedure – Total arterial OPCABG and bilateral Femororo – Popliteal Bypass. Bangladesh Heart Journal 2007;22:34
- Division of Cardiac Surgery, Apollo Hospitals Dhaka. Bentall De Bono procedure for Annuloaortic Ectasia and Ascending Aortic Aneurysm. Bangladesh Heart Journal 2007; 22:25
- International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (ISMICS)
- Minimally Invasive Robotic Association (MIRA)
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
- ISHLT (International Society of Heart & Lung Transplant)
- Exec Member -I 2 C 2 Committee MCS (Mechanical Circulatory support, ISHLT)
- Contributing Author – Journal of thoracic Surgery
- English, Hindi