Profile and Area of Expertise
Director, Udai Omni Hospital
Chief Joint Replacement Surgery, Udai Omni Hospital
Consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon, University Hospital, Coventry and Warwickshire 2002-2012.
Fellowship in Lower limb Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy, Adelaide, Australia, 2001-2002
Specialist Trauma & Orthopaedic Training, Dundee & Inverness,UK 1996-2002
Basic Surgical Training, Edinburgh, UK 1993-1999
Advisor for the development of hip and knee products to Corin Ltd UK
Numerous publications & presentations in international journals/meetings
Honorary Associate Professor, University of Warwick Medical School UK
Area of Expertise:
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Joint Replacement Surgeon
- Sports Medicine Specialist
Experience (Current Position & Previous Positions)
- Director & Chief of Joint Replacement Surgery & Sports Injuries Unit Udai Omni Hospital, Hyderabad
- I have now moved to Hyderabad and am working at Udai Omni Hospital. I am one of the four directors of the hospital. I’ve been exposed to extremely complex work in India and am keen to get involved in the Indian arthroplasty scenario to help local trainees and surgeons learn the principles of lower limb arthroplasty as well as to keep abreast with the latest in this field.
- Basic Surgical Training Edinburgh UK – 1993 – 1996
- Specialist Trauma & Orthopaedic Training Dundee & Inverness-UK – 1996 – 2002
- Fellowship in Lower Limb Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy Adelaide- Australia – 2001 – 2002
- Consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon University Hospital- Coventry and Warwickshire – 2002 – 2012
- TRAINING: Almost 8 years of training as an experienced senior house officer and specialist registrar gave me a broad exposure to all aspects of orthopaedics and trauma disorders including hip, knee, foot and ankle, upper limb, spine and paediatrics.
- FELLOWSHIP: I took a year out to work in Australia as a senior lower limb joint replacement and arthroscopy fellow, which gave me a focused exposure to all aspects of hip and knee joint replacement and revision surgery as well as sports injuries and arthroscopy.
- CONSULTANT: I was a Consultant trauma and orthopaedic surgeon at the University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire from 2002 – 2012. In addition, I had to admit rights to two private hospitals locally – The Warwickshire Nuffield Hospital, Leamington Spa and The BMI Meriden Hospital, Coventry.
- SUB SPECIALITY: In addition to my trauma and general orthopaedic workload, my main sub-speciality interest is complex and revision hip and knee joint replacement surgery.
- TRAINER: My role at the University Hospital included teaching medical students and training orthopaedic trainees and fellows. Many of the fellows were from the national training scheme as well as from Australia and other European countries. I demonstrated hip and knee replacement surgery to various visiting surgeons from around the globe as well as the ABC fellows from the USA.
Education & Certificates
- MBBS – Gulbarga University – 1990 – Karnataka
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh – Royal College Of Surgeons – 1994 – England
- FRCS – Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery – Royal College Of Surgeons – 2000 – England
- Fellowship in Joint Replacement Surgery and Knee Arthroscopy – 2001 – Australia
- Honorary Associate Professor- University of Warwick Medical School UK – 2008
Publications & Presentations
1. Total hip arthroplasty versus resurfacing arthroplasty in the treatment of patients
with arthritis of the hip joint: single centre, parallel group, assessor blinded, randomised controlled trial.
Costa ML, Achten J, Parsons NR, Edlin RP, Foguet P, Prakash U, Griffin DR;
Young Adult Hip Arthroplasty Team.
BMJ. 2012 Apr 19;344:e2147. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e2147.
PMID: 22517930 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
2. Femoral neck narrowing following hip resurfacing using posterior and Ganz approaches at two years.
Deans VM, Ho KW, Prakash U, Parsons N, Griffin DR, Foguet P.
Hip Int. 2011 Sep-Oct;21(5):596-601. doi: 10.5301/HIP.2011.8642.
PMID: 21948029 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
3. Intertrochanteric femoral fracture after hip resurfacing managed with a reverse distal femoral locking plate: a case report.
Baxter JA, Krkovic M, Prakash U.
Hip Int. 2010 Oct-Dec;20(4):562-4.
PMID: 21157767 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
4. Hip resurfacing using the trochanteric flip osteotomy.
Killampalli VV, Hayes A, Parsons N, Costa ML, Prakash U. 17
Hip Int. 2009 Apr-Jun;19(2):131-5.
PMID: 19462370 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
5. The blood flow to the femoral head/neck junction during resurfacing arthroplasty:
a comparison of two approaches using Laser Doppler flowmetry.
Amarasekera HW, Costa ML, Foguet P, Krikler SJ, Prakash U, Griffin DR.
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008 Apr;90(4):442-5.
PMID: 18378916 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
6.Hemiarthroplasty for severe fractures of the proximal humerus.
Prakash U, McGurty DW, Dent JA.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002 Sep-Oct;11(5):428-30.
PMID: 12378160 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
7.Osteochondritis of the base of the first metacarpal following a physeal injury.
Allcock PA, Prakash U, Finlayson DF.
Injury. 2002 Apr;33(3):267-8. No abstract available.
PMID: 12084647 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
8.Effect of activity levels on polyethylene wear in Charnley low-friction arthroplasty.
Prakash U, Mulgrew S, Espley AJ.
J R Coll Surg Edinb. 1999 Jun;44(3):193-6.
PMID: 10372493 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
9.The epidemiology of open long bone fractures.
Court-Brown CM, Rimmer S, Prakash U, McQueen MM.
Injury. 1998 Sep;29(7):529-34.
PMID: 10193496 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
10. Fracture through an osteochondroma.
Prakash U, Court-Brown CM.
Injury. 1996 Jun;27(5):357-8. No abstract available.18
PMID: 8763294 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
11. Metal-on-metal hip resurfacing with uncemented fixation of the femoral component. A minimum 2 year follow up.
Hull P, Baxter JA, Lewis C, Kordas G, Foguet P, Prakash U.
Hip Int. 2011 Jul-Aug;21(4):475-8.
Presentations (National and International):
- The Ganz Approach to Hip Resurfacing, U Prakash, V Killampalli
• The British Orthopaedic Association conference, Birmingham, September 2005
• Corin Hip Meeting, Costa del sol, Spain, October 2005
• The European Hip Society Meeting, Turkey, June 2006
- Extended Trochanteric Osteotomy in Revision Hip Surgery, U Prakash, D Morgan,
VVKillampalli, M Yaqoub
• The British Orthopaedic Associaton conference, Birmingham, Sept 2005
• The Indian Orthopaedic Association conference, Mumbai, Dec 2005
• The European Hip Society meeting, Turkey, June 2006
- Medical Tourism – India, The ultimate ourtsourcing
• Sesamoid Club annual meeting, Stratford-upon-Avon, I Oct 2005
• Rotary Club, Coventry, 16 Oct 07
- Femoral Head Blood Flow – A comparison of two approaches to hip resurfacing
• The British Orthopaedic Association conference, Glasgow, 26-29 Sept 2006
• BOA instructional course, 11 Jan 2007
- The Ganz Approach for Hip Resurfacing, U Prakash, VV Killampalli:,
• Naughton Dunn Meeting, Woodlands Hospital Birmingham, 20 November 2004,
British Hips Society, Wrightington
• British Hip Society, Wrightington, 2-3 March, 2005
• EFORT meeting, Lisbon, June 2005
- Trochanteric Reduction Osteotomy for treatment of trochanteric bursitis
• British Hip Society, Wrightington, 2-3 March 2005
- PITHA (Prevention of Impingement in Total Hip Arthroplasty),
• BOA, Glasgow, 2010
- General Medical Council (UK)
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Indian Orthopaedic Association
- Founding member of Indian Biologic Orthopaedic Society
- Member of the highly motivated academic department University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire- UK
English, Hindi, Telugu